Friday 28 March 2014

Final film finished! 28th Mar

Readers,

Throughout this week I have continued to compose my music for my 2 minute opening. To compose my music I used different loops on Garageband. As I am an A level music student I decided to take these loops and slightly change them to fit with the genre of film e.g. making some of the loops minor key or increasing the volume of the music to create suspense. I edited this in Garageband and then exported the score. I then imported the score into Audacity where I divided the score into six main sections of music. Nice music-driving down the drive, E, MD and MP meeting-this is when Emily and her mother meet the head of 6th form and are taken inside, background music-for Emily while she is at school to create suspicion that something is wrong with her, stalker music-this is his motif (small phrase of music) which introduces the audience to him while he is skulking in the bushes and around the school, orchestral strings-different background music while the stalker is not on screen and finally Big E!-this is for the ending of my film opening to create an enigma, to leave the watchers wanting more.

The night before I had downloaded the graphic of 20th century fox to be placed at the start of my film to comply with the conventions of the film industry.

All of the music worked perfectly with the film except the stalking scene. The timings of the suspense accents were at the wrong time to the film and there were too many of them so this made the film look poor and not professional. I decided to recompose this section to make sure it fit perfectly with the film. When I was finished I exported this and imported into my film which I have edited on Final Cut Express. I imported all my music into their specific places of my film and edited them. After this I edited the volume levels of the music and film so that the music faded out or came in at the right points without over riding the dialogue/ambient sounds.

When I was happy with the final product I exported the film into a Quicktime movie ready to be uploaded onto my blog.







Please COMMENT and leave me constructive feedback!! Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the final film!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoebe
    I've watched it again and I'm pretty pleased with your CW; only two things struck me - the graphic for Phoebe Lowes production company looks too big, not quite right, somehow? can you compare it with 'real' logos again and see if you can improve it?

    Secondly, the music is good but maybe the part near the end where Charlotte is talking to Emily is a little loud?? Overall, very well done - your camerawork and editing to make meaning are excellent. Mrs Downes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very impressed with the use of the dark filming to emphasise the menacing element. It reminded me of the present production of Daphne du Maurier's "Jamaica Inn", which is also follows a brooding and menacing theme. I also liked the very peircing look that Emily gives the camera at the end of the film. Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All a little life-like for me. I think we should ban Mr Price from the site! The music addition creates an appropriate atmosphere - all very chilling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear All readers,

    I have re-analysed my final film, as there have been some constructive criticism from members of the public.

    The areas of concern were: my fonts and the colours I used in my titling and also the music/sound volume.

    Fonts:
    "I'm not sure the use of a font that has Serifs is modern enough, but perhaps you are paying homage to some older films in the genre." In films whether they are in the genre of Horror/Thriller they use two different Serif fonts. The fonts I have chosen to use are Oriya MN as the san serif (Phoebe Lowes) and Charlemagne Std as the serif (Directed by). I wanted to have a contemporary feel (san serif) and a reference to previous famous Thriller/Horror films e.g. Seven (serif). The other concern was that my production company logo looked “too big” and “not quite right”. I tested my logo without the backing and also in a smaller size but the graphic just faded into the background and it was very had to see against the footage behind it. I added the green background to make the graphic standout, as this is an important feature in any film to promote the film production company.

    Music/sound volume:
    "The music is good but maybe the part near the end where Charlotte is talking to Emily is a little loud??" I have looked at other films in the same genres as mine and have found that when a scary or intense moment is coming in the plot the music crescendos (Jaws) and if the dialogue is not relevant or necessary to add anything to the scene the music takes over so that the audience are over welled by the music and are waiting for the action to happen.

    Thank you all very much for your comments and views.
    I have really enjoyed this year! ☺

    Thanks again!!!!

    ReplyDelete